Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Columbia River Scaup 12" x 28" acrylic


This painting depicts a flock of greater scaup getting ready to land. There are several species of duck in the water including canvasbacks, a goldeneye, and a bufflehead. The inspiration for this piece came from a foggy, January morning on the Columbia River where wave after wave of scaup would land near our boat. After they would land, I could hear them milling around on the water and diving for their food. It was a constant sound almost like rushing water, then another wave would join them increasing the sound even more. It was spectacular to witness! To see the painting progress step-by-step you can click here to visit my other blog.

I'm not sure this painting is finished yet so it is currently not for sale. If you are interested in it, you can email me at peter@mathiosstudios.net.

My Website

No comments: