Friday, September 17, 2010

Wood Duck Pair 5" x 7" acrylic

SOLD
Luckily, wood ducks are common around my neighborhood as we are surrounded by wooded waterways on three sides. This allows the opportunity to see one of my favorite ducks and one of the most decorated birds in North America on a regular basis. Every summer, wood ducks (and all other ducks) go through a molt and lose their spectacular color but, now in September, they begin to regain their colors. Here a male and female swim together. This 'daily painting' took a bit more than a day because of the amount of color and the fact that there were two ducks involved. The female is quite colorful in her own right.
My Website

1 comment:

Carol Reynolds said...

This is a wonderful painting! I thought you might be interested in this link http://www.mallardlanefarms.com which breeds various other colors of wood ducks such as silver, apricot, white, and others. Their website shows excellent photos. I realize you use your own reference shots and so do I, but I found this info interesting and thought you might like to see them as well.